Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Cooking a Whole Chicken

Stumble Upon Toolbar

In this chicken and dumplin' recipe, I mention that I start out by cooking a whole chicken. It really is the cheapest way to buy chicken and super simple because you just plop it in a pot and you're done. No cutting or chopping involved.

I usually boil the chicken whole in a big pot of water, but now I have come across a better idea.

You absolutely must read The Happy Housewife's post about cooking a whole chicken.

She gives step by step instructions on cooking a whole chicken in the crock pot and then using the bones and skin to make chicken broth.

Happy also breaks down the cost per person of the two meals she was able to make out of one $4 chicken! Incredibly, one of the meals works out to 30 CENTS per person!

Read the comments, too.  You'll find lots of great tips there, too.

 Do you enjoy this blog? Subscribe in a reader.

5 comments:

Amy said...

I also read that post and found it very helpful. I usually cook 2 chickens at once in my roaster. I figure if I am going to go to the trouble of one, I might as well do two. And I have 2 teenage boys, so I go through more chicken. But I never keep the juice for broth and I need to start doing that!

Celee said...

I stew chickens in pots on the stove and use the broth. Also, I tend to buy larger chickens and make two casseroles from the same chicken. This saves money, too.

Kimarie @ Cardamom's Pod said...

Haha! I just cooked 3 packs of split chicken breast overnight in my crockpot - we will pick off the meat and freeze it today. This is a GREAT tip and saves so much time.

The Happy Housewife said...

Thanks for the link love!

Keowdie said...

I've been doing the cook-the-whole-chicken-in-the-crock-pot thing for a little over a year, and I love it. I do the same thing with turkeys.
I have a husband & two sons, and I work outside the home, but I'm also really concerned with fresh, healthy meals for my family. This is one of the healthiest, easiest, most frugal time savers I do on a regular basis!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Swidget 1.0 6

 
Web Statistics