Monday, September 21, 2009

Pecan Apple Delight

Stumble Upon Toolbar

This guest post is brought to you by the author of Balancing Beauty and Bedlam. A mom of five and frugal living expert, Jen shares with humor and authenticity on a myriad of topics.




With apple picking season right around the corner, there’s nothing our family loves more than the smell of baked apple treats, and I have a delicious one for you.

I’m still working on the perfect name…Apple Delicious Upside Down Treat, Melt in Your Mouth Apple Goodness, Pecan Apple Delight?

Regardless of the name, YOU WILL WANT TO MAKE THIS!

I have made this for hundreds of people and every time, the recipe requests come. I can't believe I am sharing this tried and true secret because it's one of those recipes that tastes like you spent hours in the kitchen, yet you can really whip it up at a moment’s notice.

Not only will it make you drool, but it's easy and INEXPENSIVE (if you do it right).

This is one of those recipes that you can't goof up no matter how hard you try. It's also one of those recipes that if you forget the actual recipe, you can improvise. Since many of my friends can't stand when I do that, I will be specific.


How's this for specific? Ha Ha...please tell me I am not the only one who scribbled down chicken scratch over a decade ago, improvised for years, and then couldn't believe when I actually found it....


In this...I know...stay tuned for my newly improved recipe planning.

Below is why we cannot go wrong with this recipe...ever. We are going to start by layering pure heaven.


I used a round 11 inch stonewear pan, and layered the bottom with:
1. 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
2. 1/4 cup light corn syrup
3. 1/2 cup - brown sugar
4. 1/2 cup - chopped pecans (if you are pecan lovers...I recommend a bit more :)


The pecans are definitely optional. I LOVE them, but this would be delicious even without them.

Brown sugar storage tip:
This was a tip that I didn't learn until I had been married for many years, so hopefully it will be useful.


How can I be at the bottom of a 7 pound Sam's Club bag of brown sugar and still have it be nice and soft?

Put a piece of bread in the top of your bag or container and the brown sugar will not solidify. The bread absorbs any moisture keeping it baking day perfect. I replace the piece of bread as needed.

Back to the recipe...
5. After you have sprinkled the pecans, put a layer of diced, sliced or chopped apples (use what you have, but Granny Smith are the best).

I have an apple, peeler, slicer, corer gadget, so I normally just use half moon slices. Since I didn't want anyone to feel left out, I showed you all options. :)


6. Next, divide biscuits into smaller pieces, and roll them in a mixture of cinnamon and sugar. I used Pillsbury Grands (16 oz. can), but if you have homemade biscuit dough in the freezer, this would be the best of yum and health.

In my opinion, the cinnamon/sugar is purely optional. If you are short on time or want to cut out the additional sugar, skip this step. Since it's my daughter's favorite thing, this was not an option. :)


7. I sprinkled the remaining cinnamon/sugar mixture on top (optional).


8. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.


9. In order to flip this properly, you need to let this cool. If it does not cool, it will still taste delicious, but it will not be presentational...just soupy sensational.

Can you tell I know from experience? :)

When it has cooled slightly, pick out your serving plate and place it on top of your baking pan. This step is always a bit tricky, since you must flip it fast.


My son got one in action...hee hee










AHHH....pure delight I tell you, and easy enough that my nine year old daughter can make it. This is a great recipe for your "cooking with kids" days.

I have doubled this recipe and made it in a 9/13. Then I just flip it onto a cookie sheet. I have also made this "low fat" by using low fat biscuits and cutting down on the butter. You did know that brown sugar and corn syrup have virtually 0 fat grams?

Now, just don't ask about all the other nutritional benefits...it's just pure pleasure eating. hee hee
And my son just looked over his shoulder and said, "It looks better in real life." Awww...


Do you want to know why this recipe ended up being such a frugal delight?

Here are a few grocery shopping tips that I follow:

Pillsbury biscuits were stockpiled when on sale BOGO, and I had coupons for all items. I never pay more than $.50 for any Pillsbury items, and you shouldn't have to either. There are always coupons for Pillsbury. I bought over 20 items and averaged $.25 a piece.


Corn syrup was $.18 for this whole bottle. I bought the 4 marked downs bottles that were left and will be making this recipe quite a few times in the future.


Apples were marked down because of that teeny tiny bruise there...see it? Yep, I'll take $.49/lb and cut that baby out.


So, enjoy the melt in your mouth apple coffee cake, Pecan Apple Delight, Better than Cinnabons or whatever great name that’s decided. One thing for sure…this is a winner.

3 comments:

Lisa Beth W. said...

That looks very yummy and easy! Any suggestions for substitutes for the corn syrup?

I hate to sound contentious, but the bread in your brown sugar bag is not absorbing moisture, it is imparting moisture to the brown sugar. Dry brown sugar = hard brown sugar. Do you notice that when you put a fresh piece of bread in, the old one is all dried up? I use this trick, too. :)

Lori Ann said...

Looks delicious! I just bought some bruised apples at discount, too!

Corn syrup is mostly only available in the U.S., and isn't really good for you, so I'd use the same amount of honey instead of the corn syrup; it won't last as long (doesn't have the same preservative powers)... but this recipe looks so tasty, I doubt you'll need it to last very long anyway!

*Mirage* said...

Oooh that looks droolicious!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Swidget 1.0 6

 
Web Statistics