Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Managing Fading in Laundry

Stumble Upon Toolbar



My girls have several dresses which have cute little matching head-kerchiefs.

Even though the head-kerchiefs don't need washing because they stay on approximately 12.6 minutes before falling off and then being carried around the rest of the day in Mom's purse, I toss them in the washer whenever I wash the matching dress.

Why?

Because experience has taught me that all clothing fades with time and washing, even in cold water. And let's face it, if you have kids, cold water does very little to get out the kind of dirt and grime they can dish out, so most of my laundry gets done in warm water or even hot.

My fourteen year old has the misfortune of containing the proof in a slightly faded pair of yoga pants and the "matching" still bright and new looking hoody.

Since the pants have been washed twice as often as the hoody, they are noticeably lighter in color than the other piece.

If I want the dress and head-kerchief to stay the same brightness, I need to wash them the same number of times.

That's what works for me this week. Wash matching items in a set together, whether they both need laundering or not.

Click on the Works For Me graphic at the top of this post to see more Works For Me tips.

6 comments:

The Happy Housewife said...

Great tip! I have a few faded outfit pieces myself!
Toni

Raise Them Up said...

Lol! You mean, do extra laundry that doesn't need it?? Just kidding.

Thankfully, with all boys, the whole matching, neatness, hole-less thing doesn't matter nearly as much.

Great tip, though.

Anita said...

I just recently started following your blog when I read that you have 7 children whose names all end in "n"! I also have 7 children whose names all end in "n"! I have Lauren, Devin (g), Jordan (b), Aaron, Kaelan (g), Jackson and Caedmon. Do you share your chidren's names? I am curious!!

Cheryl@SomewhatCrunchy said...

Yes, I absolutely agree! I have 2 boys, so don't have to worry about it too much, but I remember that happening to my outfits as a little girl.

Niki Jolene said...

I have noticed this too.

Great tip...thanks for sharing!

:)

Stop by and see me sometime over at Free 2 Be Frugal!

Amanda said...

Just yesterday I saw a woman who was very "posh" walking to her car with a mis-matched jogging suit. At first I thought she had a black jacket and navy pants, but then I thought about this post, and realized she doesn't know your secret!! Poor lady. The pants were very faded, and the jacket was probably like new - never washed.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Swidget 1.0 6

 
Web Statistics