Friday, June 6, 2008

Frugal Blog Design

Stumble Upon Toolbar


Have you noticed how many blogs have custom headers and cute little coordinating buttons? I checked into getting some for myself and discovered that for a fee of around $35 (and up) I could get that, too.

Or I could just look into some elements of blog design myself and incorporate what I know FOR FREE!

That's what I did. Plus, I begged my 13 yr. old to change my background 8 or 9 times and come up with those adorable little hearts over there. But, I did the photo in the header*, made a column on the left, and the blue polkadots around the posts all by myself!

It did take quite a bit of investigating and trial and error to figure it all out, and I have forgotten how I even did most of it, but I think I have a nice custom look for no charge at all only $5. (I just remembered I paid MaddieLynn for all of her hard work.)

Here are some great links for learning how to customize your blog:

Tips For New Bloggers
How to Make Tabs
Add "Recent Comments" Widget

There are all sorts of ways to spruce up your blog without paying anything at all. You can't get much more frugal than free!

Check out Biblical Womanhood for more great frugal tips.

*Shannon did the header title and description for me as a special favor.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think your blog is lovely!
I tagged you on my blog

Miche said...

good tips, thanks for the sites to check out. I have been "customizing" mine by messing around in the html code and so far I think it looks ok and it has all been free too! but I do want cute buttons-thats my next mission to learn how to put on here! Super thanks!!

Julie Willis said...

Thank you! I will check them out! I'm still displaying pics sideways. Maybe there is hope for me!

Pat's Place said...

Great information! Now, if only I could borrow your 13-year-old to spiffy up my blog! Or to tell me how! Thanks!

Mikki said...

Thanks so much for this entry.

I have two blogs. One blogger and one at HomeschoolBlogger.

My homeschoolblogger one looks really good and Im comfortable with it,but I would love to learn how to do my blogger one up good.

Thanks again. I saw your entry at Biblical Womanhood!

Kara said...

I love your layout and I am going to check out those sites, I need a redo!!

Brianna said...

Thanks for the links! Found you on Biblical Womanhood and saving the page to my faves.

Brenda on the S OR Coast said...

Only because you brought up blog design...

I can't see your header. Never have been able to. I use Firefox.

So sorry to be the bearer of bad news. =(

But I do really enjoy your content! And I can see the cute hearts and the polka dots. They're adorable. =)

Michele @ Frugal Granola said...

Great post! Thanks! :)

I think your header is adorable!
Blessings,
MIchele
www.frugalgranola.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

It is cute.

The Trusted One said...

THANK YOU< THANK YOU!!!
I am new at this and I want to have a nice girly blog page.
Blessings on your week
Jennifer

Threeundertwo said...

I use firefox and I can see your header. Thanks for the help, I really need to work on the look of my blog.

Homeschoolin' hot-rodders said...

Thanks for all the tips! Now that we are finally on break from school (we school year round) I thought now would be the time to change up my blog. I tried adding the recent comments widget and am having issues. Did you have any issues when you tried to load it?

Angela

Smockity Frocks said...

Angela, I don't remember having any trouble with it, but it's been a while.

Smockity Frocks said...

Okay, I just noticed the "recent commments" title is there, but the actual comments are gone. Hmmmm...

Homeschoolin' hot-rodders said...

OK thats my problem too...maybe its not me :)

Angela

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Swidget 1.0 6

 
Web Statistics