Saturday, January 5, 2008

Good Books

Stumble Upon Toolbar


Snowmen at Night is a cute little book one of my little girls checked out from the library. We have read it aloud many times this week, and this is a book I wish we owned.

If your children have ever commented, like mine have, that something seems to have happened to their snowmen overnight, this book will delight them with the explanation as to why their frozen friends are a little droopier than they remembered them.


Sixpence in Her Shoe is a book I recently got from Paperback Swap. (Are you noticing a pattern of "Smockity likes the free stuff" here?) This book first interested me when I saw Deputy Headmistress recommend it. I enjoyed the wit and wisdom the author offers. There is advice aplenty on how to make the most of what you have in the home; how to be frugal, but not miserly; and much more.

The Woman You Want to Be, Margery Wilson's Complete Book of Charm is a book I picked up several months ago at a garage sale for a dime, if you can believe that! This book is a gold mine of advice from an era that, sadly, has passed us by. It was first published in 1928 and has these topics included:

Injecting direction into dull conversation
What to avoid in social conversations
How to meet people in a group
Being a guest
Your duty to your hostess
How to present gifts
Poise and dignity

I think I will do an entire blog post on this book when I find the time. It really is a treasure.

If any of these books interest you, don't forget to check out Paperback Swap to get them for free. If you haven't signed up yet, do it now! It really is a great way to get lots of books for very little cost. Remember to put "MaddieLynn" in the referred box and we will get an extra credit.

Also, don't forget to use our Amazon search link at the top of the sidebar if you plan to order any of these.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think i could totally benefit from a refresher course in "What to avoid in social conversations".

Shannon said...

The Woman You Want to Be is totally on my wish list now. I love it already and I thank you for letting the world know it exsists! :)

Shannon said...

That would be 'exists' not exsists. Oh my.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Swidget 1.0 6

 
Web Statistics