Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Mrs. Barnett's Pink Stuff

Stumble Upon Toolbar

Our family attended 2 funerals last week. Both were dear sweet friends from church who were battling their own health issues.

Mrs. Barnett fell ill over the summer, but before that, she and her husband of 62 years were the unofficial greeters of our congregation. They seemed to always be at the doors with a hug or a handshake for anyone entering. That is, whenever they weren't off on some adventure out of town watching the leaves turn or admiring the blooming wildflowers or visiting a new great grandbaby.

They were very active, always willing to serve, and always together. They even babysat our children once when I was in the hospital. Whenever I would have a new baby, there they would be at our door with a casserole she had prepared. She knew that our kids loved her "Pink Stuff", so she usually brought that, too.

When she first went into the hospital, unexpectedly, we asked Mr. Barnett if there was anything we could do to help out. He said that he sure would appreciate if MaddieLynn would iron his clothes. You see, his sweet Dorothy had always ironed his clothes, and now that she was in the hospital, he just didn't know what he was going to do. Of course, we went straight over there and picked up what needed ironing. It was such a small thing, but he seemed to already be lost without her there at home, and we were glad to give whatever comfort we could.

Her health rapidly declined, until suddenly she was gone. I can only imagine the loneliness Mr. Barnett is feeling without his sweet Dorothy. After 62 years of being together, now he is all alone.

During the funeral, the preacher made note of the fact that a 62 year marriage is something to be praised. Some 62 years ago they had made a promise to cling to each other, and since a promise is a promise, that is just what they had done. They had clung together through thick and thin, good times and bad, happiness and sorrow.

I am so glad my children had the privilege of witnessing their marriage and also the funeral, where their commitment to one another was honored.

A few years ago, Mrs. Barnett gave me her recipe for "Pink Stuff". I think I'll make some this week. Here is the recipe, if you would like to make some, too.

Mrs. Barnett's Pink Stuff
1 sm cottage cheese
strawberry jello
1 sm can crushed pineapple
1 sm container Cool Whip
nuts (optional)

Mix jello into cottage cheese. Drain pineapple and mix in. Fold in Cool Whip and refrigerate.

8 comments:

Michelle said...

What a sweet testimony this couple had. There is a couple in our church that is just as dear to our family. I don't know what we would do without our "Miss Polly".

On the recipe, orange jello can be substituted for the strawberry jello and then it goes from being "Pink Stuff" to "Orange Fluff". No kidding. I've made the "fluff". Now I'll be trying the "stuff"!
p.s. I have a Maddie Paige!

Liz said...

Wow, that is such a wonderfully sweet story! Our grandparents have been married 65 years now and it is just exciting to see them still loving and taking care of each other. They too go everywhere and do everything together. It is a great example to us all!

It does make me a little sad though as the "greying of the church" is such a prevalent thing! I guess it just means that we really need to be out there trying to get the young families involved too! In most congregations we have attended (the bulk of which were in small town Texas) we were the youngest famly by 30 years. There was always the liberal alternative down the street with TONS of young kids and children's church too! Alas, I was always thankful for the influence that the older generation had on my little ones.

Thanks for the sweet story, Elizabeth

Smockity Frocks said...

Thanks, Michelle! I'll try that variation, too.

Liz, I'm afraid if we attended one of those mega churches, we wouldn't have much of a chance to learn from the older ones. In fact, we used to attend one, and we spent all of our time with folks our own age. I, too, am thankful that my children know the old folks and can learn from them.

Jenn said...

that story made me cry. i wanted to get in my car and drive over (what is it, hudred miles?) to his house and iron his clothes, too. that was so sweet of ya'll.
and to add, i grew up with our version we call "green stuff" with lime jell-o (not pistachio :oP)

The Lockwood Family ♥ said...

Thank you for sharing that sweet story. I'm so glad that they not only loved eachother, but the Lord and will shortly be together again with Him forever.
My dh LOVES that recipe...it is is all time favorite dessert. We add mini marshmellows and sometimes he likes fruit cocktail instead of the pineapple.
It costs soooo much here to buy cottage cheese (Mexicans don't eat the stuff, but there is a store in the big city that sells it...$4 for a small container) and when we go there, we'll often times splurge if we can to get it. :) We whip our own cream too...so yummy :)

Kim said...

Our church is very small (dozen families) and we do not have any *older* couples. I really miss that. Sweet story :)

I am six months pregnant and read your post yesterday....went to the store....bought ingredients for pink stuff....ate two bowls for dinner last night.

Thanks a bunch ;)

Anonymous said...

What a sweet story about such a godly couple. Will MaddieLynn become his forever ironess now?

I found your blog thru a link. I'm a smocker too. :)

JavaMama said...

I had a hard time getting through your post, how amazingly sweet and sad. I pray that Mr. Barnett will find peace and be comforted as he adjust to the change. Thanks for sharing their beautiful story of commitment and love.

JOYfully in Him,
Kelli

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Swidget 1.0 6

 
Web Statistics