Sunday, August 12, 2007

Monopoly

Stumble Upon Toolbar

I have a confession to make. I do not enjoy playing Monopoly with children.

I know. I know. And I still call myself a mother.

I do play it. I just don't enjoy it. I does give me an opportunity to practice my forced smiling, so I guess it's not all bad.

Oh sure. The first two hours practically sail along. It's that third hour that gets to me. You know, when your seven year old has exactly $12 left and you have to explain the concept of mortgaging property to pay for staying at a Boardwalk hotel? After you've explained that the game is supposed to emulate real life?

I don't know about you, but if I only had twelve dollars left, I would be rethinking my Atlantic City vacation.

Parenting was so much simpler when there was just Candy Land.

9 comments:

Nikki said...

Wow. This is what I have to look forward to? I thought Chutes and Ladders was bad. Chutes and Ladders never ends. Sometimes I sort of *ahem* accidentally bump their little person up a level to get us closer to the end, or sort of miscount so as not to land on a chute. I will probably burn for such dishonesty. Maybe it's time for the game to go into the donate box.

Sonya said...

I have a confession to make....I too loathe playing Monopoly with kids! There, I've said it. I'm a horrible person...a horribe mother. It drives me MAD to play this with my kids. I do not enjoy it and usually get cranky after explaining the things you mentioned 100 times! I feel so much better now that I got that out~

Unknown said...

I don't like those games at all.
I'm OK knitting and seeing others play, but not me.

We have a game here that's called: "don't get annoyed."... hmm.. Let's say they'd never sell it to me because I won't use it.

That's said nicely.

You're not a bad mother for disliking certain games, and you know it. LOL!

Steve, Dana and Maria said...

We start out the Monopoly game by drawing two propertys each. That shortens our game to around 1.5 hours. It also helps that we play fairly ruthlessly. Lots of swapping properties so there are monopolies early. That tend to bankrupt quickly!

Anonymous said...

LOL- Hubby and I don't play often because we play each other so competitively! The kids have monopoly junior. The game the kids I play the most together is clue. That game is almost addicting! LOL

Anonymous said...

lol lol lol i know EXACTLY what you mean!!

kerri @ gladoil said...

I quit playing Monopoly years ago. My oldest daughter ALWAYS wins, even if she doesn't mean to and I get tired of dieing a slow death to her. She wants to keep the game going and tries to give you her money only to take it back on the next turn. It's rather discouraging.

Jenn said...

get them the monopoly cd to play on the computer works FABULOUS!!! the three of mine play together and actually share the computer. can you imagine?

Unknown said...

JUNIOR Monoply! It works wonders. There's no mortgage involved (which I don't like anyway).

Hugs,
Melinda

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Swidget 1.0 6

 
Web Statistics