Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Nap Time Works For Me

Stumble Upon Toolbar



From the time I had my first baby, I have always had an afternoon nap time at my house. When my first was a tiny infant, I would turn off the ringer on the phone around 1:00 so we wouldn't be disturbed and we would take a nap together.

As my children have gotten older, they don't always need a nap, but we still have a one hour period every day when everyone goes to lie down and rest. They can read books or listen to music or books on tape, but everyone must remain in their beds and be silent for the entire hour.

The little ones usually fall asleep and the older ones get some quiet time all to themselves, which is a rare commodity in a large family.

Mommy gets to catch up on phone calls, bill paying, sewing, blogging, or even a nap if I need one, too.

Once or twice, my oldest two have asked if they aren't too old for naps. I explained that they aren't required to nap, but we all need some time each day for a little peace and quiet, a time to think our own thoughts without someone or something else competing for our attention.

As far as I am concerned, no one is too old to spend an hour of quiet time each day. This is a must in our house and we all come out of our rooms a little more refreshed than we went in.

Nap time definitely "Works For Me". Find out here how I get my newborn babies to go down peacefully for a nap. Then, check out Rocks In My Dryer for more great tips.

7 comments:

Homeschoolin' hot-rodders said...

We do the same thing :) Usually we are finished with school by this time so everyone can sit back and relax! I have to admit that I am a night owl so most of the time I take this quiet time to nap too!

Miche said...

What a great idea!! I love it! We are getting ready to add our second, but we do hope to have many many more. As they kids all get older I will have to copy your idea, thanks!

Nikki said...

Please come to my house and train my children. I would love such a wonderful routine!

Threeundertwo said...

We had "quiet time" every day until my youngest were in first grade. I needed it as much as they did. Since we started when they were little, they were used to the routine. Definitely worked for us. (And I got a lot of needlepoint and cross stitching done!)

Jessica said...

Works for me, too!! We LOVE naptime around here! Everyone wakes up in a much better mood - which makes Mommy very happy!

Unknown said...

We practice "Quite Time" here too. My almost 7 year old gets to read books or color as long as he stays on his bed. The baby and I still need the sleep! :)

The Estrogen Files said...

Oh yes, you say it, sistah! I need that quiet time to myself. Glad I'm not the only one.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Swidget 1.0 6

 
Web Statistics