Sunday, November 1, 2009

25th High School Reunion

Stumble Upon Toolbar

I was excited to be able to go to my 25th high school reunion with my husband recently.

The main reason for my excitement was anticipating seeing my best friend from high school that I hadn't seen since my wedding day 24 years ago!


She is as beautiful and sweet today as she was then, and I so enjoyed getting to visit with her again!  I even forgave her for beating me in the race for the only vacant student council position in 10th grade. And for being drop dead gorgeous while standing next to me in photos.

I only wish I could have heard more than 3/4 of the things she said, because the music the kids listen to these days is so LOUD!  I might have found it more tolerable if the play list would have included Journey or Joan Jett or Rick Springfield or Michael Jackson before his second and subsequent plastic surgeries, but alas, no such luck. Random samplings of Garth Brooks and other young whippersnappers the kids dig was the order of the day.  I found myself shouting to be heard and nodding with a smile on my face while hoping I could decipher what people were saying.

I think that means I am officially OLD.  Well that, plus the tennis balls on my walker needing to be replaced are pointing in that direction.

Our babysitter, AKA oldest daughter, called twice to see when we were coming home, so we left early and I can't be sure because of the ringing, but I think I heard my eardrums sing the Hallelujah chorus. 

When we got to the parking lot and my husband tried to start the truck, the engine light came on.  We both held our breath and looked at each other in a panic. You see, when this happens at home, my husband has to call for the pliers. He lifts the hood and clinks, clanks, clunks around until it starts. This is the same truck that the driver has to crank the window down to reach to the outside of the truck to open the door so he can get out.

Fortunately, the engine light flickered and went off.  And we breathed again.  'Cause is there anything classier'n asking the people at your 25th high school reunion if anyone has a pair of pliers you could borrow to start your 1994 pick up truck?

We laughed as we drove away and decided we were rich beyond measure.  Pick up and all.

 Do you enjoy this blog? Subscribe in a reader.

8 comments:

Phoebe @ GettingFreedom said...

You are hilarious! Glad you had a great time, even if you couldn't hear.. LOL :)

Celee said...

Did you win the mother with the most kids award or anything like that? I have one friend I went to school with who has 2 more kids than I do.

I've never been to a concert. I like to think of myself as sensible, not old:)

Lora Lynn @ Vitafamiliae said...

I'm pretty Garth Brooks is considered "old school" now. Not that this information will make you feel any better about yourself...

But I'm glad you had fun!

Anonymous said...

Rick Springfield, Joan Jett...girl, they should let me and you plan these things. ;-)

Robin Gilman said...

You are rich beyond measure!

And I can relate to the overly loud music! I went with my husband to his high school reunion a couple of years ago, and we couldn't believe how loud the music was! I mean the reason people were there is to re-meet and catch up with people you hadn't seen in decades, and no one could here anyone else! Crazy!!

Anita said...

What happened to the red top you were going to wear? I decided against going to my 25th reunion...and the others before that as well. I don't have contact with any of them and it just felt fake to be going. I am a different person and in all the pre-reunion contact, I realized that I was the only stay at home mom, not to mention homeschooling and the six children we had at the time. Now we have seven children and two grandsons!

Smockity Frocks said...

Blessed, I didn't win ANYTHING! Can you believe it? Psh! Some party!

Anita, I decided the red thing made me look tomato-ish, meaning round and red, which isn't the look I was going for.

DrKnox said...

Thanks for sharing, Connie. Your conclusion at the end is right on target! I have my 30 year h.s. reunion in July. Should be interesting.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Swidget 1.0 6

 
Web Statistics