Friday, February 20, 2009

Like Jesus

Stumble Upon Toolbar

As I was changing a diaper recently, I was eavesdropping on a conversation wherein the 3 yr. old asked a certain sibling who shall remain unidentified to get her a drink of water. The sibling replied, "You can get it yourself. I'm not your servant!"

To which the 3 yr. old responded, "Then you don't want to be like Jesus. He came to serve, not to be served."

It was one of those moments when I realized that all my talk, talk, talk and many, numerous, multitudinous words must have seeped in somehow.

Many are the times I have reminded not only my children, but also myself that Jesus "did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many." (Matt. 20:28)

If we want to be like Jesus, (and, as Christians, isn't that our goal?) we will look for opportunities to gladly serve others.

Jesus gave His very life for us, something so difficult that it caused Him to sweat drops of blood just thinking of what He was called to do.

I have never been asked to give of myself in such a dramatic way, but I can be like Jesus each day as I give of myself in little ways to those around me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful moment! Isn't it wonderful to receive confirmation that the things we are trying to teach our little ones actually sinks in sometimes? Just out of curiosity, how did the older one react to such "chastisement"?
JessicaC

Smockity Frocks said...

Jessica,
The offender was shocked at first at being chastised by a younger sibling, and then ashamed (thankfully).

Linz said...

Thanks for the encouragement today. I love your blog's new look too. :)

Shari said...

Love the new blog look. Very encouraging and humbling reminder that I am to be a servant, too.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Swidget 1.0 6

 
Web Statistics