Sunday, August 24, 2008

Whatsoever Thy Hand Findeth to Do, Do it With Thy Might

Stumble Upon Toolbar

This morning during church, I was holding a sleeping baby in my arms and I noticed the two year old was dragging her blue satin sash behind her as she walked over to get into my husband's lap. I pointed to it and motioned for him to tie it so she wouldn't trip when she got down.

I watched him tie it like he was tying a sneaker before a basketball game. Or a tourniquet on a severed limb. That baby would NOT be coming untied anytime soon! Never mind that the bow wasn't poofing just right like it was when I had tied it that morning. And the loops were longer than the ends.

I was thinking, "Bless his heart. He's just not as good at it as I am, but at least he gave it his best shot."

Then, after church was over, a lady in the pew in front of us turned around and told us how she enjoyed MaddieLynn's singing and what a beautiful voice she has.

I was recalling that last week another church member had given her the same compliment and then I began to contemplate the fact that no one has ever, in my entire life, complimented my singing.

I LOVE to sing, too. What I lack in technique, I make up for in gusto.

I know I am not a gifted singer, but I do my best and enjoy praising the Lord with the voice he has given me.

Sometimes it's easy for me to think, "I'm just not good at (fill in the blank) so I will leave that project to someone who can do it better than I can."

The thing is, if I take that attitude, then I will never do anything! There will always be someone who can sew straighter, smock smoother, knit nicer... you get the point.

I think it's important to make the most of the talents God has given us. Equally as important, though, is to give it our all in areas where we aren't the best or brightest, but we can STILL bring glory to God.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some singing to do.

7 comments:

Nikki said...

Very insightful. Oh, and I had to chuckle at the bit about your hubby retying the bow. Danny recently attempted to put a ponytail in Gabby's hair. hehe

Brenda said...

You know what? You're right! I may not ever be top notch at everything I try...but my trying blesses my family anyway. So there.

Pat's Place said...

Great insight! My singing isn't so good either, but I LOVE to sing in church and do it with all the gusto I think those all around me can endure. Maybe I should not be so concerned with those around me and be more concerned with the praise I am lifting up to the Lord. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

When I sing in church I feel a direct connection to God. I know I don't sound to good to other people, but I pray that it is a sweet seet sound to his ear.

I can't remember my username or password. MOM

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Traci Best said...

My David won't even try to tie a bow or put up a pony tail... LOL.

Traci

Homeschoolin' hot-rodders said...

its funny you say this and post this...because I was thinking the same thing on Sunday (and yesterday). At our congregation we all take turns cleaning the building. This month is my month. I asked if I could rent a steam cleaner and tae care of all the carpets and chairs. Without hesitation the men said yes. Before we left one of the men approached me told me how much he appreciated me doing it. I got to thinking about it...and I do it because I CAN. There are so many things I can't do (or don't do well) that this is one thing I can do to help "contribute" and show honor to God....by taking care of the things that He has blessed us with :) Great post and Great timing

Angela

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Swidget 1.0 6

 
Web Statistics