Tuesday, February 20, 2007

MomGriddles

Stumble Upon Toolbar

I have told you that I am a frugal zealot, that almost nothing is more exciting than calling my husband at work to report that I just fed the kids lunch for under 10 cents each.

Well, I have a confession to make. My children have had McDonalds McGriddle breakfast sandwiches... and they love them! I know, I know! What would Amy Dacyzn say?! It must have been a moment of weakness (and hunger) that I caved in and went through the drive through to pick up some breakfast, and they have never forgotten it.

So, just this week as I was picking the oldest 3 up from going to work with Dad, they began chanting, "McDonalds!, McDonalds!" I immediately repented of my spend thrift ways and told them, "Why, I can make them thar McGriddles mah-self!"

If you aren't familiar with the McGriddle, it is a breakfast sausage sandwich using 2 little pancakes for the bread part. The pancakes have syrup inside. So, you get a little sweet and a little savory in each bite.

I remembered that I had a recipe that I use often for "Pancakes on the Go" that already have the syrup included. We call them "handcakes" because you don't need a plate. I figured I could make those in silver dollar size and put sausage in between two for my very own "MomGriddle."
Everyone wanted to help out, so I gave each child a task and we all worked together. My son cooked the sausages while the 7 yr. old cracked the eggs into a bowl. The other girls worked on the dry ingredients and then the wet. The pancakes were ready to pour onto the griddle about the time the sausages were finished, so I drained the grease and started pouring the batter.

Sure enough, everyone loved them and gobbled them up! I doubled the recipe for the pancakes and put the leftovers in the freezer. If you like McGriddles, try these. Yum!

Pancakes on the Go
(From Quick Cooking March/April 1998)
1/2 Cup all purpose flour
1/2 Cup whole wheat flour
1/2 Cup plus 2 Tblsp. quick cooking oats
1/3 Cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg
1 1/3 Cups buttermilk (This ended up being way too much. I had to add dry ingredients. Next time, I'll only add enough to get a good batter.)
2 Tblsp. vegetable oil

In a mixing bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl, beat egg, buttermilk and oil; stir into dry ingredients and mix well. Pour batter by 1/3 cupfuls onto a lightly greased hot griddle; turn when bubbles form on top of pancakes. Cook until second side is golden brown. Yields about 9 pancakes.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

A McGriddle is often my breakfast treat when we travel. Thanks for a recipe for the homemade version; I'll have to try it soon!

Jana
(formerly Momma2E)

Anonymous said...

When do you add the syrup and how much do you add?
These sound great. I'll have to try them on my family as well.

Smockity Frocks said...

jpeters,
The brown sugar in the recipe makes them sweet. It serves in place of pouring on syrup.

Nikki said...

I'd like to order five, please?

Reviekat said...

What a great idea! I'll have to try these for the girls' picnic brunches.

JunkMale said...

Congrats on finding an alternative to fast food breakfast. Frequent McDonald's will jack up the risks of coronary heart disease.

BTW, back when I watched TV more, I never understood that McD's commercial with the girl talking to the guy about how a McGriddle disappears so quickly, making some sort of girlishly subtle hints that he should take her out before she gets snatched up. But the guy totally doesn't understand what she's talking about and thinks she's really talking about food. I forgot what the actual dialogue was, but I would've reacted in the exact same manner as he did.

Of course, none of that means anything to anyone who hasn't seen that commercial...

Smockity Frocks said...

Junkmale,
"none of that means anything to anyone who hasn't seen that commercial."

Uhhhhhhhh... you're right!!

The Estrogen Files said...

I am SO going to try these out! I love those McGriddles and don't get to eat them, rather don't LET myself eat them, often.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Swidget 1.0 6

 
Web Statistics